The purposes of CAAC are promoted through advocacy, cultural awareness, and educational programs directed toward town residents, officials, and the general public; developed through designated projects and programs; and governed and qualified by the basic policies:
• To represent Chinese American interests in important town-wide activities especially, but not limited to, cultural and public education, local issues, and diversity.
• To provide members with opportunities for involvement in Cambridge community through volunteerism, networking, and social events.
Chinese American Association of Cambridge (CAAC) is an all-volunteer 501(c)3 non-profit organization registered in 2021 July. Currently, about 400 families from Cambridge and the surrounding towns (such as Somerville, Belmont, and Arlington) are registered in our rapidly growing network. By serving the Chinese American families and connecting them with other ethnic groups, CAAC is aimed at fostering further understandings of AAPI culture and building our diversity community in Cambridge.
Activities in the past
- Organized the rally to Stop Asian Hate at Harvard Square on Mar 27, 2021 (photos)
- Founded Chinese Restaurant Free Library ( crflibrary.org ) in the summer of 2021, now it hosts 3000+ Chinese books in 9 restaurants and a lending library, free for the public to access.
- Hosted the annual City wide community gathering parties twice at Danehy Park in 2021 summer and 2022 fall. (2021 photos 2022 photos )
- Ran AAPI book drive 2021. Donated 770 AAPI books to Cambridge public school library, and 170 books to DHSP preschools and Somerville public schools. Started working on AAPI book drive 2022, advertised the project on many city events. “Thank you” message from CPSD can be found here .
- Donated 135 bags of dumplings to Margaret Fuller House (local food pantry) for the Lunar New Year 2022 (photo).
- Organized 2022 Lunar New Year celebration at City Hall and Harvard Square on Feb 27, including Lion dances, Harvard Square street performance, car parade (partner with CAHF and other orgs). (photos )
- Also we hosted two Lunar New Year online galas through zoom webinars in the past two years. Zoom recordings: 2021 and 2022
- Organized a volunteering shift at the Greater Boston Food Bank on March 5th 2022. (photos)
- Organized Chinese traditional music performance with lion dance at the May Fair at Harvard Square on May 15th, 2022, which was sponsored by the Mass Cultural Council. (photos)
- Besides hosting the big events, we also organize educational classes, such as Kungfu (free), Shanshui painting and brush calligraphy classes, and free story time in Chinese.
- Other activities: